Winter is in full swing and I find myself craving less fruit and more hot breakfasts these frosty mornings. So, I came up with a recipe to make the best out of both and combined hot steaming porridge oats with deliciously sweet apples and plums. I try my best to incorporate fruit into every breakfast as they wake the body up gently, without being too heavy on the stomach. Traditional breakfasts full of bread and meat are far too heavy on the stomach and the combination of the two is simply too difficult for our bodies to digest. Porridge and fruit is a great alternative that is both delicious and easy to digest.
When I was a little girl, growing up in Lithuania, my mom used to cook us porridge. I hated it and used to overload it with sugar to make it somewhat enjoyable for myself. But porridge doesn’t have to be such a bland meal. It can be a real treat! Pamper yourself with delicious juicy apples, luxurious cacao nibs, and enticingly sweet maple syrup, all while nourishing your body with vital vitamins during these winter months.
- Oats are filling and give you the energy you need to start the day.
- Milled flax seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and high quality protein to fuel the body, while milled chia seeds, being a superfood, also contain massive amounts of nutrients in addition to the omega-3 and protein.
- Sprouted buckwheat is great for protein, and living enzymes, which aid digestion and strengthen the immune system (healthy gut – healthy immune system – happy you!). On top of that they are also high in iron and contain all the B vitamins. You can sprout buckwheat by soaking in water for 30 min, draining in a strainer and leaving covered until sprouted. Pretty simple!
- Plums are a great addition to your winter breakfast as they pack many nutrients including vitamin C – essential for fighting off those colds and flus!
- Cacao provides energy and lifts the mood – especially useful on those dark, dreary mornings in rainy Ireland! It is very high in iron and has more calcium than cow’s milk. Cacao is the raw, unprocessed version of cocoa and has all the deliciousness of chocolate without the unwanted sugar and junk. Give it a try!
You will need:
Mamuko porridge or oats of choice
Milled flax seeds
Milled chia seeds
Cinnamon to taste
A drizzle of maple syrup (or substitute agave syrup or honey if you like)
Plant-based milk such as oat or unsweetened almond milk (optional)
(If you choose to add milk, make sure it has no additives such as gums and sugars. Keep the ingredients simple and natural).
The great thing about porridge is how easy it is to make. All it takes is a few minutes on the hob and its ready. On those busy Monday mornings (or those lazy Sundays) you can even just boil a kettle of water and pour over the oats in your breakfast bowl and cover for a couple minutes. No pot to wash and all the hot porridge ready to go in your bowl. It is simply the perfect breakfast!
Feel free to get creative with this recipe and experiment with things you like (or even things you may not like so much) to get it just right for you and your wonderfully unique family. Enjoy!
- Boil your porridge for a few minutes (until steaming hot and your preferred consistency) in water or a plant-based milk.
- While it is simmering, chop up the apple and plum and gather remaining ingredients.
- Spoon the steaming hot porridge into your favourite bowl and top with the freshly chopped fruit, cinnamon, milled seeds and sprouted buckwheat. Add a delicious drizzle of maple syrup (or substitute) to taste.
- Enjoy with your favourite hot beverage. Wrap up and sit outside, breathing in the fresh morning air and indulging in the chirping songs of the waking birds as the sun rises.
Why not try?
Have a great breakfast recipe of your own? Don’t hesitate to share in the comments bellow!
Love, Light and Truth,
Find me on Instagram!